Blank templates

implemented

I’m just starting out with Prezi Next. When I created my first new Prezi, I found I was forced to choose one of the existing templates. How can I just start with a blank template? Thanks.

Edit: What I’m really looking for is how to duplicate the “Start Blank Prezi” option in Prezi Classic. Does anyone know? Thanks.

I don't have a New presentation button on my dashboard

Hi Eric!

Unfortunately, in Prezi Next you cannot start with a blank template. my advice would be to choose a template which best matches your font and colour requirements, then simply delete all the content. Once you have a blank Prezi with the colours and fonts set up, duplicate this and work on the new version. This way you’re creating your own blank Prezi to start from!

Hope this helps Eric!

Luke

to be honest this is just not an answer.
I did not sign up to be forced by you to use a format that suits you.
this is just not acceptable.

OK, that seems like a reasonable workaround. Thanks!

Pretty bad we cannot use anymore blank templates.

I have been a Prezi loyalist since May of 2010! I have created hundreds and hundreds of Prezi’s. As a presenter on presentations I have been a Prezi evangelist sharing how to make Prezi’s with thousands of people. It is unacceptable to me that you upgraded Prezi and took out the ability to start with a blank presentation. Surely you can get this fixed. I do not foresee myself continuing to use this tool if you cannot. I am VERY disappointed. We will see if you have any desire to listen to your loyal users or not.

Dale

The workaround is possible, but what is the reason there is no blank template anymore? How difficult is it to create one blank template for all the users who want to start from scratch? I even won’t complain when that blank one is positioned on the bottom of the list :grinning:

Prezi Next does not currently have a template available that begins with a blank canvas. A quick workaround is to start a presentation with a simple template and delete or modify its content. Once this has been done, you can save and copy the presentation for additional use.

A quick way to delete all of the content inside a new presentation is to press CTRL+A (on mac: CMD+A) and hit backspace. You will need to manually remove the background image by going to “Background options” in the context menu.

We are always trying to develop and improve Prezi, so feedback like yours is always welcome. I have passed on your request to our development team and I hope blank templates will be available in the near future.

Prezi Next is not what I expected

Hi,
Possibly the “Simlpe Modern” template can work as an “almost blank” one :slight_smile:
Nevertheless, I feel that so many different templates are kind of overwhelming… I don’t remember having ever used one in Prezi classic.

Like many Prezi users, I have NEVER used the built in templates because they are not tuned to the work I do and often distract from the presentation. Now, we are being forced to use templates that–clever as they may be–don’t fit our work. I almost ALWAYS started a new presentation either from an older one (can’t do because there is no migration path) or a blank presentation (which is being prevented).

Go back to allow users to create blank Prezis. I require my students to do this so that they learn how to modify the path and create their unique layout. One student registered late and was forced to register for Prezi Next instead of Classic and it has thrown us for a loop.

It is tedious make her create a Prezi, delete her layout, background, etc., while the entire class is waiting to get started.

Agreed a blank template is needed from the start. One idea in the meantime- couldn’t your student (or anyone, for that matter) do the backtracking/deleting once, and then save that as their personal blank template to start from again & again as needed? And maybe this truly doesn’t work in your classroom setting, so forgive any assumptions, but if it helps you in the short term, I thought I’d mention.

We tried everything. We have decided to not use this in our classroom anymore because of all of the problems. The old version was so easy to teach to my 6th graders in the past. I just spent 45 minutes working with this year’s 6th graders and we got nowhere. The new format was laggy, it was difficult to add/remove things, it didn’t work for most of them, and I basically gave up and told them to log out.

If the students do not have the option of using Classic anymore, we are no longer going to use Prezi as part of our curriculum. For the first time since 2014, I am no longer using Prezi in my classroom.

Plastic_Ingenuity is right, currently there is no fully blank template, however, we provide the “simple” template which is the most minimalistic. If you wish to have a fully blank template I can recommend removing all content from a presentation and then saving it. Then you are always able to make a copy of the blank presentation if you wish to start with an empty template.

As for students’ Prezi accounts, please note that if your students are under the age of 13, we cannot endorse their creation of Prezi accounts due to the COPPA, Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act. They can view prezis you create; they just can’t have their own accounts or create content. Please see the “4. Age Restrictions on Use of the Service” in our Terms of Use.

@Vanda - We are using these for education and most services allow that as long as we have a signed permission from the parents OR they have completed a document. Since this was the ONLY service that we were still using, this is now no longer an issue.

I don’t know if they care about the opinion of someone who has been using this in their classroom for several years and training students to use the program or not, but it would be nice if they would bring back the classic format. I have had issues with lagging, opening presentations, creating new presentations, presentations disappearing/reappearing at will, and just general use. I can at least switch back to the classic form, but my students cannot. I worry that the classic will be phased out and I will no longer be able to use the program. We are (slowly) recreating all of my shows in Google Slides (which is pretty darn boring!) so that we can start to wean off of Prezi altogether.

Part of what was/is attractive about Prezi is the free form paths/experience… and for those of us familiar with and paying for the product it may be key to why we’re here. Blank prezis in “next” are a must IMHO. The flow of “next” is non-intuitive for me as a fully versed ‘classic’ designer… I am continuing to use Classic and if it goes away anytime soon, I may too. Forced templates = bad start.

Is there a Prezi for Prezi Classic users guide to Next?

A quick workaround is to start a presentation with a simple template and delete or modify its content. Once this has been done, you can save and copy the presentation for additional use.

A quick way to delete all of the content inside a new presentation is to press CTRL+A (on mac: CMD+A) and hit backspace. You will need to manually remove the background image by going to “Background options” in the context menu.

I have also passed on your request to our development team and I hope blank templates will be available in the near future.

As for Prezi Classic, we have no plans to stop supporting it. You should be able to edit your Prezi Classic presentations with no problems in the future, as well.

Hi all,
I have button “New Presentation”, but I don`t want choose from Templates. I want start from the beginning… How to do it? In previous Prezi I could do it. Thx. :slight_smile:

@John_Creto I’ve merged your question into a thread discussing the same request, please see some workaround above.

I get the impression that Prezi Next is averse to starting with a blank template in part because it wants the developer to begin with preset font and color settings which the developer-chosen template makes immediately apparent. If the template is blank, the developer can’t immediately see what fonts and colors are associated with it.

More generally, the intent of Prezi Next seems to be to make the development of a Prezi “simpler” by removing capabilities and choices supported by Prezi Classic. Prezi Next, for example, does not seem to permit the developer to create (what used to be called) “frames” that, once created, might be excluded from the delivered presentation without actually deleting them and their content from the Prezi itself. Also, there is no way to “group” content items so they can be copied or moved as a unit.

So Prezi Classic has more capabilities, while Prezi Next cuts down on those capabilities to make the development of a Prezi “simpler.”

I wonder if Prezi Classic will continue to be supported into the indefinite future? It seems both the Classic and the Next approach have legitimate places in the scheme of things. I am finding that Next, once gotten used to, has some real advantages (though some drawbacks as well). The idea of pre-establishing a “planet” path structure that can be easily extended, but not in a completely free-form way, actually “works for me.”