Can children under 13 use Prezi?

I would like to use Prezi with my 5th and 6th Grade students. Our district follows COPPA guidelines and the parents do sign off on their student’s use of technology in the school district, including Internet based apps and websites though our student handbook. Under these circumstances, can I have my 5th and 6th grade students sign up and create presentations using Prezi?

Hi Chris,

If your students are under 13 years old , we cannot endorse their creation of Prezi accounts due to the COPPA, e thirteen years old, they can create and edit Prezi accounts due to the COPPA, Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act. (http://www.coppa.org)
Please note: they can view prezis you create; they just can’t have their own accounts or create content. 

If they are  between 13 and 18 need permission from a parent or guardian. Users between 13 and 18 years of age may utilize a Prezi account established by their parent or legal guardian, with such parent or guardian’s approval. If you permit your child or legal ward between 13 and 18 years of age (“Child”) to use the Service, you hereby agree to these Terms of Use on behalf of both yourself and your Child. You further agree that you are solely responsible for any and all use of the Service by your Child regardless of whether such use was authorized by you.

Please check our terms of use  - 4. Age Restrictions on Use of the Service at - https://prezi.com/terms-of-use/#toc4

Hope this clarify all your doubts regarding this issue.

Best,

Nicole

Thank you for your prompt answer and for giving me all the info I need.

A quick follow up question, do you know if Prezi has considered amending its EDU policy to allow for younger users if permission is granted by a parent or guardian?

Last year, I wanted my 4th graders to make Prezis. But in the FAQs it stated that no child under 13 is allowed to do so. Is this still the case if I use my email +1?

Hi. There are many web-based services that allow under-13 access, with parental consent. The Google Apps for Education program is used by entire K-12 districts, including their kindergarten students! Ditto, Edmodo! StoryJumper. VoiceThread allows account creation by parents. 

Check Edmodo’s policy: https://www.edmodo.com/corporate/terms-of-service. Or this, from Google Apps for Education: “Can Google Apps for Education be used in compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) of 1998? Yes. We contractually require that schools using Google Apps for Education get the parental consent required by COPPA. Our services can be used in compliance with COPPA as long as a school has parental consent. … Can Google Apps for Education be used in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)? Yes. Google Apps for Education core services comply with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and our commitment to do so is included in our agreements.” 

Yet the Prezi policy states that under-13 use (even on a parent’s account!) is not allowed. Can the policy be reviewed by your legal team?

Thank you,

Pam Kramer