Conforming to Accessibility Standards

Does Prezi conform to accessability standards?

Prezi is currently not ADA compliant, I’m afraid. Could you please specify what features would be beneficial to you?

When you replied that Prezi is currently not ADA compliant, you asked, “Could you please specify what features would be beneficial to you?”

Simple answer: All features would be beneficial.

If you consider Prezi to be interesting, beneficial, and marketable to people without disabilities, how could you think that it would not be equally interesting, beneficial, and marketable to people with disabilities?

Actually, let me rephrase that. If you consider Prezi to be interesting, beneficial, and marketable to people, why would you not want to ensure that you make it accessible and marketable to all people–including people with disabilities? Why would you knowingly exclude a potential market? Why would you not at least fill out a Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) and start taking steps to make Prezi accessible?

I’ll put it another way: It’s the right thing to do.

Accessibility for people with disabilities is not optional in the United States for federal, state, and local governments, public schools at all levels, and many other entities. Any business that wants to serve any of those markets and reach the broadest market possible should certainly consider accessibility essential, not optional.

At least the Prezi tutorial videos seem to have closed captioning–but if the tool itself isn’t accessible, that’s not much help.

By the way, ADA compliance in the United States is only one aspect of achieving accessibility. The recent “refresh” of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act (another United States law) is extremely important, because that referenced the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0, which are recognized globally. WCAG 2.0 is also used or referenced in the accessibility standards of other countries, including the European Union, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom.

Here are two sites you may find helpful:

The Information Technology Industry Council’s Accessibility page, where you can find links to a Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) tool. Note that the tool is still being updated to reflect the recent changes in section 508.

About the Update of the Section 508 Standards and Section 255 Guidelines for Information and Communication Techology, from the United States Access Board.

I hope that helps. I look forward to seeing Prezi become accessible.

Thank you, @P_James, for taking the time and providing such a detailed feedback. Also, thank you for sharing these sites, we’ll take a look and also pass it on to the responsible teams. We’d like to make sure that everyone is able to use Prezi according to their own needs, we also hope to see developments in the direction of ADA compliance in the future.

I teach at a University and love using Prezi, but am required to make sure content available to my students meets WCAG 2.0 standards. I unfortunately have to redo all of my Prezi presentations and go with banal PP’s because they are not accessible. I would appreciate it if Prezi met the standard. Thank you.

We are sorry for the extra trouble it puts on your shoulders, @Ben_Wilson. We’ll update this topic once we have any news!

I have taught Prezi at the University I work at for over 5 years now. We’ve always had concerns over the lack of accessibility with the previous version (Classic) so took steps to inform our staff/students of ways to make content as accessible as possible.These included adding audio narration to slides, printing out the PDF, animating content after zooms etc.

I’m really saddened to see that your new version (Next) has not addressed any of the old accessibility issues, in fact, with the new pricing structure you’ve removed any opportunities to improve the accessibility of content for free users. We teach or course attendees how to sign up and use the free Edu account but it’s really disappointing to see that educational users (free) cannot download PDFs or add audio narration to their presentations. These were some of the small additions which could be used to make presentations more accessible for all users and would be really beneficial actions to allow Edu users to perform.

I feel that by not addressing the accessibility issues with your product, or by not allowing access to more features for free Edu users you’re basically preventing usage within educational institutions.

I really do wish you would give more thought and weight in development to accessibility.

With the current limitations in place, we’ll probably be forced to revert back to using PowerPoint.

Not ideal!

@Andy_Todd we understand your arguments, for the time being, we can promise to make sure your feedback will be brought up to the responsible team. We understand the importance and urgency of having a more accessible product, especially in an educational environment, we will share any news here.