Jump into topic when editing topic cover

When I’m editing a text label or just moving things around in a “slide”, the view often jumps up or down to home or a subtopic without my control. I can’t stay in edit mode without accidentally jumping out of the slide. I’d expect to stay in edit mode until I’m done, then navigate up or down, not be randomly moved around. It’s madening. Is it my setup?

Hi @cleo_huggins, could you share a screencast of what is happening exactly?

My guess would be that the objects you move activate the “move out from topic” or “move into topic” features. Can you try to move things around by holding CMD (mac) or CTRL (Win) and see if that works?

When I did a screencast, it was mostly behaved. Only a few times the interface leaped around depths unexplainably. It wouldn’t be easy to identify on the cast which times those were and how they correspond to the way I was using the mouse. But I learned a few things:

There are times when I double click a label on a planet and it becomes editable, other times, it zooms me down to the sub-topic. This is essentially the thing that I’m trying to better control. I swapped out my magic mouse for a wired USB mouse and the double click being either edit or zoom behavior was still there. Most of the time double click caused edit mode as expected, but there were still times that I ended up zoomed down to the subtopic level below.

I see what you mean about activating the “move into topic.” This happens all the time when I want to add text or additional images to a planet. They get swallowed up like I’m too close to a black hole. Holding CMD, kept these at the top level. Thanks! Seems odd default behavior. How often would I be adding content that can only be seen on a subtopic level? Why wouldn’t I just go to the subtopic layer and add it? Is there a tutorial that better explains this behavior and it’s purpose? I’ve used Prezi only for this month long trial (which is up tomorrow) and I feel I might be bringing my UI baggage with me.

I do notice that the magic mouse is a little trigger-happy. Sometimes, just passing the mouse over a planet takes me to the subtopic. It would be interesting to know if anyone else has had sensitivity issues with the Apple mouse.

Hi @cleo_huggins, thanks for the details, now I understand the issue much more.

In case you would like to edit the topic cover I would advise you to right-click on the topic and select advanced topic editing. This would open up the cover to be edited so you can add images, text and such to the cover of your topic.

I hear your feedback about the CMD deactivating/activating the other behaviour, I’ll forward that to our product team.

Hope this helps!

Hi there, just rejoined prezi as a subscriber - I am experiencing the same behavior while editing using magic mouse. It is very maddening and completely destroys usability. The presentation jumps out to the overview level just by moving the mouse half the time. I do not want to have to click CMD and mouse every time I edit something on the screen, and this does not completely fix the behavior. Why is this default behavior? Thanks.

Hi, @Erika_Ramsdale, could you please explain a bit more in details when does this happen?

There are two ways how you can accidentally exit the topic, one would be to scroll downwards, or if you grab an object and hove it to the top left corner of your canvas (this would show a yellow circle as an indicator that you are about to exit the topic).

I’m just trying to better understand your feedback before I pass it on to our product team. :slight_smile:

Hi there – I am not doing either of these things, unless the settings for mouse input are just way too sensitive. I am usually just moving the mouse around (without any other input) or single clicking. This causes prezi to zoom out at random. It happens at least several times a minute when trying to edit – makes the product unusable. I do not have these issues (interpreting mouse input) with any other software products. Thanks,

Erika

Hi, @Erika_Ramsdale, could you please tell me the exact model of Magic Mouse you are using and your system specifications so I can better check on it?

Magic Mouse 2, system is a 2018 MBP – what other specs do you need?

Thanks,

Erika

Hi @Erika_Ramsdale, that should do it.

Please note that the Magic Mouse 2 is a touch-sensitive mouse where the scrolling motion can be triggered by the movement of your fingers on the mouse’s surface.

As Prezi zooms out from the topic when you scroll downwards in the editor it can cause this kind of issue.

I’ll report this to our product team, in the meantime I can advise you to use Zoom Areas instead of topics in your presentation as this issue would not happen there.