Large portable prezi not responding

Hello,

I have created a huge Prezi including over 1000 images and app. 600 frames. That is still working on-line in Chrome browser and also on Android devices without any trouble.
However it does not work on Windows if I want to start the portable version.
I understand that the Prezi is big, but does not include any big images, there is no non-supported image or video format. Simple huge content. But that should not be problem. (but that is.)
I know from the support team that the flash engine is different on-line and off-line and looks like also on Android.
Did you ever had this kind of trouble? The portable Prezi is hanging after few seconds, even does
not load the first frame. The message is that the application is not responding.
How should I improve the flash player to be able to support my Prezi? According to the support team I have reached the limitation of the flash player. I do not want to give up and lose few weeks editing job. There should be some solution for the portable version trouble.
Please share your experience in this matter and help me to solve the problem.
The Prezi support team is really a great team and their response time is very much appreciated, however we could not find the solution now and I have to present my Prezi on next Monday.
Thank you very much.
Gábor

Hello Gabor,

your Prezi does sound like its a little on the large size.  As a starter to fixing the problem first thing I would suggest is to try a smaller portable (or empty one) just to see if the player will work.

Then I would look in to the data/repo folder of the large portable and look at the dimensions of your images - Prezi recommends 2880 x 2880 dimensions max for the flash player but remember that all your images combined may be enough to stop the player if you have exceeded system resources.

Resize and re-import your images at a smaller size - convert .swf files to jpeg, .png if there are too many as this can also cause problems.  Make a copy of the Prezi - take out half of the images to see if this will allow it run, if it does there is the reason.

If using a PC check files names for things like - or % or * as PC do not like these in file names normally.

Try turning off all unnecessary programmes that may be running in the background which may save resources / memory.  Try using a more powerful computer.

If indeed it is a case of the Prezi is too large then making two smaller ones may be the way around it

hope this helps

cheers

John

Hello John,

thank for suggestions. I have tried already all of them, but does not help.

As a starter to fixing the problem first thing I would suggest is to try a smaller portable (or empty one) just to see if the player will work.
Smaller or empty portable Prezi is working.

Then I would look in to the data/repo folder of the large portable and look at the dimensions of your images - Prezi recommends 2880 x 2880 dimensions max for the flash player but remember that all your images combined may be enough to stop the player if you have exceeded system resources.
90% of the images are smaller than 1000X1000. The rest are below 1600x900.

Resize and re-import your images at a smaller size - convert .swf files to jpeg, .png if there are too many as this can also cause problems.  Make a copy of the Prezi - take out half of the images to see if this will allow it run, if it does there is the reason.
All images are in PNG. If I remove half of it the portable version is working!

If using a PC check files names for things like - or % or * as PC do not like these in file names normally.
There is no any special character.

Try turning off all unnecessary programmes that may be running in the background which may save resources / memory.  Try using a more powerful computer.
Only the Prezi is running on Win7 64bit

If indeed it is a case of the Prezi is too large then making two smaller ones may be the way around it
Yes, maybe it work, but how can I start two or more Prezis in the same time?
The content should be kept together.

Question:
How is it possible that the Prezi is still running on-line and also on Android.
(iOS was not tested, yet) Only the portable version crashed. It was tested on 3 different, strong enough laptops.
I can see that the main reason is the huge content. Maybe that should be mentioned in the requirement/limitation list of Prezi. 
I know this is not the fault of Prezi. That is basically the limitation of flash player and its technology. Unfortunately I did not know it before I have prepared this huge Prezi.

Thank you for your help. If you would have any other suggestion, please let me know. 

Best regards,
Gábor

Dear Gábor,
You are not alone with this problem. I have had the same problem and the offline version would not run. After many hours of stress and re editing the only way forward was to not make so large a Prezi presentation. We were disapponted as the error message only appeared at the end of the first draft on a 216 screen Prezi when an offline version was created.  My corporate client was not happy with the only safe solution of making smaller Prezi presentations but this is what had to be done.

Hi there,

both of the apps (portable or the editor) crash or don ́t even start at all on windows. On Mac OSX we tried the portable version. Same here… Does not start it directly crashes. 

We tested this on six different workstations (all running windwos 7) and to up to date MACs
What can we do to prevent it from crashing. It is really time consuming.

Online it is working fine! But we need a backup plan for offline events or if the connecting is too slow…

regards,

kilian

My solution and its not a quick one is to cut up the big presentation… Its a real hard task as I have been through this torturous affair with a large file.  The issue is how much of the Prezi Offline loading process can  you see? The glimmer of hope i had was that on the Mac the offline Prezi would load a precentage and then crash. This at least gave me a clue as to how to best proceed. Since then only the large file can be viewed online and only smaller offline versions have been created. 
Regards
David
https://www.linkedin.com/in/prezidesigner

I had another idea: in the offline version, I deleted all the videos and everything worked as it is supposed to (of course missing videofiles).

then I moved the videos back  one by one to their original destination. And then I discovered something really odd:

More than two videos will not work.
The size of the videos does not matter.

My two biggest videos are 53mb and 45mb. they both work fine as long there is no other video in the folder. If I put the three smallest videos into the folder (3mb, 4mb, 7mb) the prezi does not load. Deleting one of them (does not matter which one it is) helps and the prezi works again.

So it seems there is a bug, which does not allow to load more than two videos.

Prezi Team should fix this asap.

P.S: all above regards the portable version (not the windows editor)

I had a similar issue with PreZi giving an out of memory error saying close tabs and applications!! when in fact it was a n Swf issue. The Swf had a grouped illustrator file. By ungrouping the illustrator file the new exported tiny 36k file worked. So yes the error messages from PreI need more explanations.