Mac portable prezi appears as folder

For the past month or so, Mac portable Prezis seem to be in a new format named “prezi.portable-v234”. The files don’t look like typical Mac executable program files, but the presentations seem to run perfectly on 2 of my computers when double-clicked. I’m using an iMac 27 with Sierra and a MacBook Pro with OS X Sierra 10.12.3.

When the same files are transferred to other Macs, some with Sierra and some with earlier systems, the files don’t run at all. They appear as folders containing 2 primary files, “prezi.json” and prezi.xml", a number of subfolders named for various support file types – fonts, images, etc.

It doesn’t matter how the portable Mac press are transferred, whether by USB stick, portable Mac formatted hard drive, email, Drop Box or whatever, we can’t defeat the files showing up as folders and therefore not running as portable prezis.

There are no such issues with Windows .exe files. 

Our files are intended for use by Medical Education instructors across Canada, and this has become a serious logjam in distributing course material.  We really need to solve this quickly!

I posted this problem earlier, but it didn’t seem to appear in the forums. Please forgive if this comes up as a duplicate.

Vanda

I wish you were right, but you are not. In the above screenshot, the file extension of the Prezi file was definitely hidden. Look at the name “Prezi” at the top of the screenshot showing the window’s parent. No extension showing. Double-clicking on the filename “Prezi” resulted in the “folder” opening and revealing the files, rather than the display of the presentation.

Also just tried a fresh file on another Mac with OSX 10.12.3 in our office and the problem recurred. I am attaching a screenshot of my finder preferences to prove that we are properly set.

Is it possible that transferring the files on a USB key formatted in FAT32 is damaging your file format? We need to distribute this MAC and PC program on hard media or by Exchange business server download because not all users will have reliable internet where they are doing the presentations.

I just tried to email a test file to another Mac user. I simply attached the Prezi file. It arrived at the other end, surprisingly, as a ZIP file, and opened (unzipped) as a folder of the sort you saw in my first message.

I’m sorry for any inconvenience too, but this is becoming a serious problem for us as we cannot find a solution that works, and the program is already being rolled out. We are not having any difficulty with the Windows files. 

No matter how we try to move the Mac portable Prezi files to other computers, they get broken and can’t be used. I am under enormous pressure from my client to make this work. What good is a portable file that is unportable?

Robert Kisin

Vanda

Here I am again. I have been working on this Portable Prezi problem all day, looking for answers.

This time, I tried to place the presentations on a Mac formatted (GUID MAC OS Extended Journaled) USB memory key directly from my originating computer where I created the presentations and exported the portable Prezis. I placed the portables into a file structure which allows the users to show a Powerpoint subject overview file, then drill down to a folder containing the patient case files in Portable Prezi format. This works beautifully from my primary iMac hard drive. It also works perfectly directly from the USB stick - as long as it is still connected to my originating computer — a Mid 2011 iMac with OSX 10.12.3 installed.

It also works without flaw for the files setup to run on PCs with the .EXE extension. No problem there at all. They will display properly on any PC.

Next, I take that Mac format USB stick, walk it over to a late 2013 iMac, also loaded with OSX 10.12.3, and everything falls apart. That Mac has never been used with the Prezi desktop app, and has never been used to author Prezi in the Cloud. That’s the condition we expect for the computers belonging to the people to whom this program will be distributed.

The Portable Prezi files become folders on that computer, and will not run as applications. Filename extensions remain hidden as you specified, but the triangle icons indicating that the files are in fact folders show up and, when clicked on, reveal folder contents. I am attaching 2 screenshots with captions to show which computer each was taken on.

I used extreme care to be sure that all aspects of both computers were set up to the same set of default parameters. See the attached images.

This leads me to ask what technology is being used to make these into self-running program files? Unlike the .EXE files for Windows portable Prezi, these are obviously not the equivalent .APP files in the normal Mac sense, and it’s also clear there is a serious problem. What can we do to fix this?

Robert Kisin

PS: I will be more than happy to provide a phone number to call.

Has there been a resolution for this?  I’m having a similar issue.  Thanks!

D Israel

There has been a resolution. It cost me a lot of time, and a lot of grief to resolve it.

When the Mac portable prezi zip file is decompressed, a folder appears, apparently with a single file in it named “Prezi”. However, there are in fact 2 files in that folder. The second is a hidden file named “Prezi.portable-v234.app”, a runtime copy of a program required to run the file. Therefore, although “Prezi” can be renamed anything you like, and the enclosing folder can be moved to other computers, “PREZI” MUST REMAIN in the enclosing folder to run. Otherwise, it may not find the hidden file required to run it. Using your Mac smarts to reveal and unhide the program file will also cause the presentation to fail. Without the Prezi.Portable_v234.app program available to be found, the presentation itself will appear as a folder, containing all its component parts, rather than as a discrete Mac file. 

1 Like

David
Glad I was able to provide a useful clue for you.

I have finally given up on Prezi because of issues such as this, and especially because of the subscription model, which has made it difficult to deliver presentations to clients that they could modify for themselves as needed.

My subscription ended recently and I decided not to renew.

Bob Kisin