Physical side effects of Prezi for viewers

I would strongly suggest that Prezi modify its animation approach based on the Apple iOS experience (https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/13/apple-iphone-ipad-ios-71-motion-sickness). In addition, Prezi presentations should start with a warning to viewers so that they can leave the presentation if they tend to be susceptible to motion sickness.

Although I can’t read in a moving car and can’t go below in a moving sailboat, I’m otherwise fine with all forms of travel so I never considered myself to be exquisitely sensitive to motion sickness. However, I’ve attended several Prezi presentations and I invariably become nauseated within several minutes. I’ve spoken to several colleagues who also get queasy. (I experienced the same effect with the introduction of Apple iOS7.1 as did a sizeable fraction of other users.)

I would obviously never choose to use Prezi myself and have strongly suggested to colleagues that they avoid it for this reason.

Cool animation is not very cool if it makes you physically ill!

We’re sad to hear you have physical side effects from watching Prezi presentations. We believe that if animations are used well, motion sickness should not happen in the audience. We regularly create tutorial videos and articles on how to animate the content to achieve the best results.

That being said, feedback is always appreciated and we’ll try to make sure that our product is intuitive to use so animations won’t be distracting for the viewers.

I’ve never had issues but I’ve heard of others experiencing. Not fun I’m sure. I’d be interested in the particulars on the presentations you’ve seen. (If only to make sure I’m not making the same mistakes.)

Without knowing more details, I would tend to agree with Vanda in that the dizzying animations effect is typically a result of poor execution on the creator’s part- turning frames 180 degrees over & over again, for example, is certainly not recommended! Slight rotation, shifting from left-to-right, occasional use of zooming in & out, etc. are a bit easier to stomach.

The difficulty that I had was actually with the zooming. (The same as with the iOS issue.)

Transitions with frames flipping (like you can do in PowerPoint) have never been a problem for me, though I personally believe that too many special effects is more of a distraction in a presentation than a help. I’ve also never had any trouble with lines flying in from the side or top of the screen or just appearing on the screen (or fading in or out).

All of the times that this has happened to me it was related to features that I had the impression were part of the basic features of the software. Essentially, the format was a bunch of circles on the initial screen then zooming in on a circle to address various aspects of that topic in detail, sometimes zooming in on additional circles, then zooming back out to the main screen, then zooming in on the next topic, etc. It’s definitely the zooming that does it and after the first one or two zooms, I have to leave or close my eyes for the rest of the presentation.

One example from the Prezi gallery that’s quite similar is: https://prezi.com/shd-bhh2ivdw/what-is-yale-steam/

It’s definitely worse when viewing such a presentation in a large lecture hall, but still a problem even on a smaller computer screen as with the above example. And the queasy effect lingers for 10-15 minutes, even after only about 30 seconds of the above gallery example.

I suspect that most presenters aren’t told that the software has this effect on their viewers. The only reason that I went to the trouble of posting this here is that I heard that an organization to which I belong is planning a widespread educational effort using this software and I was horrified. However, I thought that I would look on your support site to figure out fixes rather than just expressing my horror to the planners in the organization. I didn’t see any mention of this problem on this site though, likely because any one who experiences this would never be able to use the software to begin with.

I definitely agree that most presenters aren’t given the information you’ve posted, so I’m so glad you did! I try not to make my viewers ill. :wink:

The link you provided is a prime example of too much jumping around, I can see why it might make people nauseated. The content is fine but the transitions could use some help… (And by turning/flipping, I don’t mean anything you can do in PPt- it’s where the entire screen truly rotates upside down. If that link made you queasy, multiple rotations would probably make you vomit.)

If you do get a chance to mention to that organization, Prezi has a great YouTube channel with a lot of helpful tutorials for both Classic and Next users. Maybe that will encourage planners to look into best practices?