URL information for images inserted through Prezi's google search

Is there a method of obtaining the URL for images that are added through Prezi’s image search tool (powered by Google)?  I’ve been directing my students to not use the Prezi search tool because we can not figure out how to read/see the source URL so they can accurately cite their sources.

Hi Scott,

When you drag a picture from the Google tool bar, and it is processing you can see the link and source from the file in the bottom of the grey square, once it is uploaded you will not be able to see it.

Note: We recommend selecting the check box that filters out all images that are not licensed for commercial use, especially for public presentations. 
For more information: http://bit.ly/1f1ySYJ

Best,
Nicole

I need to know how to give my presentation to my instructor. Where do I get it from

can anyone help me

Hi Elsie, 

Sorry for any inconvenience!

It this the topic for your question?
Could you please give me more details, would you like to share your prezi with your instructor?

Best,
Nicole

I had the same problem. I used a picture for my prezi and a few weeks later i didn’t remember the source. I solved this problem with a screenshot! I took a screenshot and copied the picture into Microsoft Paint. Then I croped it and saved it as JPEG. Then I went to Google-Search. On the right side of the Google Search field, you may chose “image search”. There you can upload your file and google gives you pictures who are similar to yours. So I found the URL (It’s a little bit tricky but possible!). 

But isn’t it against proper copyright procedures to use images without citing the source, even if they are licensed for commercial use? If we are trying to teach our students how to be good digital citizens, we have to know how to cite the sources of the images. In Google docs, when you click on the picture, the link appears that you can copy and paste.

Hi Jennifer,

It is good manners to cite the location where you found your content, but not required. Just be certain you have permission to own it. Just because it is available on google search, it does not mean you have the rights to use it publicly, always check with the owner first.

Hope that clarifies your question.
Best,
Nicki

I’ve been doing a similar thing with a Google image search for commercially reusable images, and I understand how to do it, it’s just that if you’re going to incorporate a Google image search into the presentation tool, I don’t see why you wouldn’t allow people to access the URL to make citing easier. 

Hi All, 

Thank you very much for your feedback! We are constantly improving our tool and our knowledge base, and this is really helpful. Best, Nicki

Hi Nicki:

Not to be contentious, but I beg to differ that it is not just “good manners” to be concerned with and to make evident the permitted use of images in online content. Indeed, how can one verify usage rights or “check with the owner” without the source url for images obtained through a Prezi image search?

I applaud Prezi’s efforts to make the image searching simple and user-friendly, but as I work with graduate students who are, themselves, teachers, I find that many conclude that “if I can search for an image from within Prezi, it must be ok to use the image.” I work hard to help my students develop a working knowledge of the differences between intellectual property issues and academic ethics (for instance see http://bit.ly/1OftghY) , but not clarifying the source url nor the specific usage rights for images obtained through a Prezi image search doesn’t make the challenge any easier.

Anything Prezi can do to underscore appropriate re-use of the intellectual property of others would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Kelvin

Dr. Kelvin Thompson
University of Central Florida

Hi Kevin, even though you use the check box for ‘images allowed for commercial use’ this does not guarantee they are free to use.
If you are concerned about the content you are using, especially if you are using it commercially, I would suggest purchasing or creating your own content. This is the only way to guarantee you have the full rights to use content.
Best,
Nicki

Hi,

I agree with Kelvin’s comment that citing the source is not just a question of good manners. And purchasing or creating our own content is not the solution either.

I have no experience at using the search engine provided by Prezi, because I work in the same field as Kelvin and need to be sure that the content I add to my presentations is under the Creative Commons license.

Therefore, I use the CC site, where they display a variety of websites (including Pixabay, the one that Robin suggests) to search in and even though they claim not to be a search engine, the site works indeed and has been very useful for me. I hope this helps.

https://search.creativecommons.org/

Vanesa

If you download you Prezi you can find the images in the project’s folder under Content->Data->Repo and then you can easily upload them to Google Image Search because I had to do that because I had inserted some images and then when I checked my project rubric it said that images had to be sited.

Right-clicking any image on a website and selecting Properties (Windows 7) or Copy Image URL (Windows 8) will get you the  information needed to reference the image. When citing, be sure to include the month and year you retrieved the image; just in case the website gets changed in the future and the link becomes invalid.