Videos in Prezi Next app aren't playing

I have a Prezi which is evolving with my work. I keep it to go back to lectures I presented a couple of months ago.
Unfortunately, most of my embedded movies are now not running anymore.
Any idea why that might be? It would be a pain to collect and re-embed them allover again…

Thanks!

uli

1 Like

Hello @Ulrich_Hofmann1, could you please let me know if you are in editing or presenting mode when you are trying to play the videos? Could you please send me a full screenshot of the issue?

Hi Bart,
I am aware, that in editing mode the movies do not run.
But in presenting mode they should!

Something interesting: When I start the Prezi in „Presentation" Mode, the example page looks like this:
Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-24 um 12.28.27.png
and the movie (top right) starts without problem.

When I turn on the „Presentation“ from within the „Editing“ environment, the example page looks like this:
Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-24 um 12.29.41.png
and the movie does not run!

uli

1 Like

Thanks, @Ulrich_Hofmann1 for the detailed screenshots. Are these videos inserted Youtube videos or your own uploads?

Could you tell me the title of this presentation so our developers can check on it further?

Doesn’t matter which one, but the most recent is „Beyond IHC“ and the movies are direct uploads, no YT videos.

As I said: if starting in presentation mode, they seem to work, but not when changing from editing to presentation.

uh

Hi @Ulrich_Hofmann1, I’ve checked and the videos are playing for me when I go to present mode from the editor.

What happens if you click on the videos?

they stay black

Hello @Ulrich_Hofmann1,

Could you please login to your Prezi account in a Google Chrome incognito window and try it there?

You can open an incognito window in Google Chrome by pressing CTRL + SHIFT + N on a Windows PC or CMD + SHIFT + N on a Mac.

If this helps, then I would advise you to clear your cache by pushing CTRL + SHIFT + DEL (or CMD + SHIFT + DELETE on a Mac). Please make sure you select “All Time” in “Time Range”.

Wait!

My apologies - I should have told you earlier: I use the desktop version of Prezi - as I do not always have web access where I give talks.
Thats where the problem arises, I never tried the browser version!

uh

Hi @Ulrich_Hofmann1, I’ve tested this in my desktop application and it works fine, but I’m on a Mac.

Are you on Windows or Mac? What is the version number of the desktop application that you use?

I am on a Mac, too and I just do not get it what is the difference.…. I even re-installed your software and still get that bug.

MacOS 10.15.7

Prezi Next 1.54.1 (27177)

Hi @Ulrich_Hofmann1, I’ve tested your specific presentation as well and it plays back the video for me.

I can see that you are on an older macOS version. Would it be possible for your to update your OS? You could also try to remove the cache of the Prezi Next Desktop App so it forces the app to download your presentation again from our cloud.

And just to confirm, if you start the presentation directly in presenting mode skipping editing then the video plays, right?

Just no - too many other things running here.

And indeed, starting the presentation directly in presenting mode and skipping editing then the video plays.

How to empty the cache in the Desktop App? Are there other files involved, like .plist presets or that like?

Hi @Ulrich_Hofmann1, you should be able to clear your cache by renaming or removing the following folder: Library - Application Support - com.prezi.pitch.desktop

You should be able to open the Library by opening Finder, then on the top menu click on Go, then hold option/alt and click on Library.

Removed the folder in Application Support - still not running from editing mode….
:frowning:

1 Like

Thanks for the extensive testing @Ulrich_Hofmann1, at this point, I have reported the issue to our developers.

As a workaround please use the presenting mode from the main screen of the desktop app.

I have the same problem. Videos play and thumbnails are visible, when starting directly with presentation mode, they are black and stay black, when starting presentation out of the editing mode.

This appeared (I think) after upgrading Prezi Next (Desktop) to version 1.54.1 (27177). I work on a Mac with macOS Monterey (Version 12.2.1).

Best wishes,
Jörn

That is re-assuring! My contact at Prezi seems to have that problem escalated to the developers… Let’s see where that goes.

uli

Do you want to make your video even more compelling? To go live or record yourself and your content, you can add mp4 files to your video or import your Prezi presentations with locally uploaded video files and convert them in the Prezi Video desktop application. Be a part of the interactive experience that is Prezi Video by adding your short clips!

Funny thing: Problem seems to have disappeared. I still use Prezi Desktop version 1.54.1 (27177) now with macOS 12.3.1 and it works. The only difference: when I start the presentation out of edit mode, I don’t see a preview of the video (but only a black box). However, in both modes (starting from edit mode or starting presentation directly) the video plays.

1 Like